Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gretchen's Quilt

One of my dear childhood friends has struggled to have a second baby. Several years of emotional ups and downs led her and her husband to adopt a daughter from China so that their son would have a sibling. Fast forward four years and I was thrilled to learn she was expecting (and in her second trimester!) I knew I had to make a special quilt for this little one.

Candy was excited about my offer and trusted me to pick out the pattern. She asked for a color scheme to match the nursery - light and dark pink and spring green. I decided on a chevron pattern because it's so modern and Candy loves mid-century style.

This quilt is entirely made from my stash - even the back! I wanted to add a little something extra to the back and ended up with the beautiful green strips breaking up the pink. I didn't think about it at the time but now it reminds me of a present which is SO FITTING because baby Gretchen is truly a gift to this special family.

Here is a close up of the quilting. It took some time but was well worth it to emphasize the chevron effect.

Here is photo of Gretchen with her quilt and her kickass chair. What a lucky little lady.

And here I am visiting little Gretchen. She's a cutie!

1 comments:

Christy said...

The quilting is a-maz-ing. Totally worth the effort, IMO.