Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Covered in Threads 2013 Guild Challenge

As in past years, the women I quilt with decided on an annual challenge for our Covered in Threads quilt guild. You'll recall that the 2013 challenge was to create a polka dot quilt. Last weekend we gathered at my house for a few days of sewing during which we showed our polka dot projects. It's always fun to see what people come up with:

We also decided on our 2014 challenge. After several suggestions and a group vote, we decided that our next project will be a log cabin quilt.

This will be the sixth year we have a challenge. I love that we've been able to keep the tradition going.

Jungle Safari

This quilt was finished last summer but I just received the photos. It's a baby quilt for my husband's cousin's son, Max.

My mother-in-law and I worked on this quilt together. We decided to use the pattern I'd chosen for my solid's quilt challenge. The blocks are bit wonkier and it's cool to see how the prints play in to the quilt compared to all solids.

Here's a photo of me taken while we were measuring the batting during a spring quilt retreat.

I was uncertain of the colors. Max's mom had sent a photo of the jungle safari bedding she wanted us to try and match. It seemed like a lot of different prints and colors. But I think they work against the khaki and green.

We also found the great fabric for the back. It had all the prints and colors and matched everything perfectly. Most will think we matched the fabric on the front to the back which isn't the case; it just worked out that way.

 And here is my quilt partner, modeling the project.