Tuesday, October 18, 2011


One of the advantages to having a new house is having a sewing room all to myself. When we built the house, we knew we weren't going to use the formal living room so the Polack convinced me to turn it in to my sewing room. I had other ideas for sewing space and I didn't like that the room was right off the foyer and very visible from the front door. This means I feel like I have to keep the room picked up. But the advantage is that it's spacious and has plenty of room for all my stuff. (And really, how can I complain about having my husband dedicate a whole room to my quilting?)

My sewing room is currently outfitted with old furniture, made of MFD and some on it's last leg. I'll get new furniture some day and I'll organize things in a cool, fashionable way. (I have a whole "organization" board on Pinterest!) But for now, I have to settle with what I have. But that doesn't mean I can't make things colorful to help pique the inspiration.

I bought a set of these circle containers from IKEA several years ago. I didn't have a plan for them but I loved the colors.

One day, I had the idea of hanging the lids on the wall above my cutting table. It's an easy and cheap way of adding color to the white walls of the room. (Painting will happen. Some day.)

I hope to add some paper lanterns to hang from the ceiling and of course, I need to add some quilts to the wall. in the meantime, I love looking at my circles.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Ryleigh's Quilt

I'm waa-aay behind on my flowers. I have two ready to photograph but haven't made it outside to take the photos. I also need to finish my flower from last week and start this week. It's been a busy fall! I have managed to work on some quilts though. My latest has been finished for several weeks and I'm finally getting around to mailing it to the recipient. This is going to baby Ryleigh, the daughter of some friends.

Here was the inspiration for the quilt. This is part of the bedding in Ryleigh's room.

I'm not sure why I used 4.5 inch squares. They were so small! I kept making squares, and making squares and sewing and sewing. Then I'd lay out the quilt and it was teeny tiny. But I loved working with the colors so I kepts at it.

It was windy when I took photos of the quilt.

A close-up... I quilted flowers in the quilt, a free motion pattern I love but don't get to use very much.

Here is my third attempt at machine binding. It's not perfect but I'm getting better!

I'm mailing the quilt today and I know it will be well loved.

I'm finishing another baby quilt that I've been working on since I finished Ryleigh's project. It will be given to the recipient at a baby shower on Sunday and all that's left to do is the binding so I should be able to finish it. I'll post photos next week.